Wednesday 14 December 2011

The user does not exist or is not unique

One of the web front end servers in our farm was throwing an error when users were being added to a Sharepoint group. The error displayed was the rather generic User does not exist message so I went sniffing in the logs.



Using the Correlation ID I found what was causing the exception,

An exception occurred in AD claim provider when calling 
SPClaimProvider.FillResolveClaim(): Requested registry access 
is not allowed.
 
A search on this error led me to Bernardo's excellent blog on the problem. I followed his steps and found that my app pool account was indeed being refused access to the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\
Web Server Extensions\14.0\Secure
 
I added the App Pool account to the WSS_Restricted_WPG_V4 instead of the local admin group on that server, it worked fine and resolved the issue.



No comments:

Post a Comment